Tell Us More About You
A Few More Things
Please don’t leave this page while your request is processing!
If interrupted, the process is likely to fail.
- We are currently searching our extensive database to ensure you are matched with a provider that meets your needs.
What You Need To Know As A Consumer When Moving
Hiring a moving company should be convenient and stress-free. Although most trips go smoothly, there’s always a chance that accidents can happen and may damage your possessions while in transit.
As a consumer, you have rights and responsibilities when this happens. Make sure that you are well informed to come up with the best course of action. Here are some of the things you need to know from the FMCSA’s booklet, “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move”.
1. Your Mover’s Liability and Your Claims
- The value and safekeeping of your belongings is the moving company’s responsibility. Interstate moving companies should have different liability options that apply to interstate moves, as mandated by Federal law. The different liability options are Full Value Protection, Released Value Protection, and Third-Party Insurance.
A. Full Value Protection
The Full Value Protection states that the moving company is responsible for compensating for the value of the lost or damaged goods. This is more expensive than the Released Value Protection as it offers more comprehensive protection on your belongings.
If any of your items are lost, destroyed, or damaged, your mover will either offer the following:
- Item repair
- Item replacement
- Cover the repair or replacement cost
- You should get the moving company’s Full Value Protection plan specifics in writing since the moving company and the deductible levels of liability that can lower your total cost can affect the actual cost of the plan.
B. Released Value Protection
Released Value Protection is the most economical and inexpensive option. The moving company offers minimal protection with no additional charge. This option rewards the consumers based on the weight of the item and not the actual value. The carrier is responsible for up to 60 cents per pound per item.
C. Third-Party Insurance
If you purchase Released Insurance, some movers may offer to sell you separate liability insurance. You must purchase this insurance separately since it is not a part of the standard move.
- A. Full Value Protection
2. Reducing Your Mover’s Normal Liability
A. Loss and Damage Claims
You have the right to claim compensation for loss or damage from your carrier. You must make a claim within 9 months from the date of delivery or from the date the shipment is due to be delivered, in case lost.
- The damage report must be submitted in writing to the moving company or the moving company’s third-party company for the claim processing.
- The moving company should send you a confirmation receipt within 30 days. After that, you have 120 days to make yourself available to the carrier. If a claim cannot be processed or resolved within 120 days, carriers may be granted a 60-day extension.
- B. Delay Claims
If you have a contract with a moving company for a warranty for pick-up and delivery services, late claims will be processed.
- A. Loss and Damage Claims
3. Resolving Disputes
Benefits of Hiring a Moving Company
Moving out from one place to another is as hectic as moving into a brand new house. Packing everything into boxes seems like forever, yet it doesn’t have to be! You can now ease up the burden and enjoy a hassle-free move with the help of professional moving companies.
Moving companies, sometimes known as removal companies, help homeowners or businesses with their move. They handle your belongings and offer services that include packing, loading, transportation, unloading, unpacking, arrangement, and removal storage. Moreover, they operate with a full crew and provide both nearby and long-distance relocation services.
Here are some of the benefits you can expect from them!
1. Moving companies offer a variety of services.
- Aside from the services mentioned above, moving companies also offer the following:
- Packing Essentials. They provide packing supplies unless stated otherwise. You don’t have to worry about your boxes, paper, bubble wraps, stapler, pins, and packing tape. They have got you covered!
Disassemble and Reassemble. Furniture assembly is probably one of the hardest tasks when moving so having a professional do it can relieve you from all the stress.
Load and Unload. The experienced movers will have your belongings in and out of the moving trucks more quickly and safely than the homeowner can.
Full-Service Transport. Moving trucks come in all different sizes and help you with your local and long-distance move.
Unpack. When you’ve reached your destination, expect them to unpack, reassemble, and clean up the mess.
2. Moving companies will help you save time.
- If you don’t have the time to do all the packing, it would be wise to hire a professional mover. They can efficiently prepare for the move based on your personal timeline.
3. Moving professionals are trained and have the proper equipment.
- Professional movers are not only equipped with skill and knowledge, but they also have the proper equipment that helps in making the process as safe and quick as possible.
- Moving services will take time to pack your packages properly, so expect your belongings to be handled with care. They also offer transit insurance coverage as compensation for when something gets damaged during transport.
- Tip: It’s best to pack and transport your valuables yourself.
4. You’ll Be Getting Your Money’s Worth.
- Hiring professional moving companies can be costly, especially if you’re planning to move interstate. However, if you hire a well-regarded professional service, you’ll definitely be getting your money’s worth. Your payment will cover everything — renting costs, moving costs, and packing costs.
- Experienced moving companies will be the most reliable option when relocating. They are trained to give you the best moving experience. They stay on schedule and are accountable for their actions. Most importantly, they give you peace of mind knowing that your belongings are in good hands.